Monday, June 19, 2006

on becoming a writer

i remember writing this essay on my old journal (which was part of the lot that got thrown in the dump!) about my dream of becoming a writer. in those days, i was scared shit of showing any of my work to anyone. i wrote poems, essays, short stories. not that they were Pulitzer Prize material but i think i really short-changed myself then for not even trying out for the school paper. because of my well-placed, albeit unfounded, fear of rejection, i missed out on so many opportunities of getting read by millions (!) or worse, getting published.

and now, i'm in the middle of my life (hopefully) and i say to my Censors (those nasty thoughts that kept me cowering with fear):

"Get the Hell out of my way!"

i guess, i'm really thankful for this blogging phenomenon (thanks to my real good friend Heinz for paving the way), like the Penman said: "...writers write to be read." and although i dream the dream of getting my work published someday, for now, i write here, i get the thoughts out in the open, i expose myself (literarily, of course), i leave my mark.

***
For tips on writing, the Penman suggested these sights:

http://www.oonyeoh.squarespace.com/column-writing-tips/
http://watkins.gospelcom.net/manu.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home