Wednesday, July 05, 2006

of cordon bleus and BlackBerrys

The books I've been reading for the past month or so have been about some serious stuff, mostly about being a woman: Simone de Beauvoir's "The Second Sex", Adrienne Rich's "Of Woman Born", Germain Greer's "The Female Eunuch", etc...And truth to be told, my head's about to explode from too much information and exploration of the female psyche. I need a break. Anybody got a KitKat?

So, it was a great relief when Marix (bless her!)lent me a copy of Sophie Kinsella's "The Undomestic Goddess" three days ago. A few months ago, I tried to read Sophie's Shophaholic book (the first one of the series) but sadly I couldn't really relate to the main character, probably because I'm not really addicted to shopping. The only thing I really splurge on is books, so I didn't finish the book and just grabbed a copy of Helen Fielding's Bridget JOnes's Diary, which was really funny despite the fact that when I was reading it I could hear and see Renee Zellwegger's British accented voice in my head. Oh well.

Anyway, back to the Undomestic Goddess. I really wanted to read this book last April, when due to unavoidable circumstances, I was housebound and had to be the domestic goddess of my own household. I probably wouldn't have had the time then to read it so maybe the timing's just right now.

I love Samantha (aka The Undomestic Goddess). She reminds me of a friend of mine, with her powersuits, BlackBerry, and penchant for cancelling dinner appointments with her friends. (Oh, but I love my friend despite of that).

I'm no lawyer (Samantha is) but I kind of know her world: the fast-paced, competitive, driven, corporate rat race...as I was part of it myself a few years back. And like her, I've given it all up, and not without a trace of regret here and there, but overall, I love this new, slow-paced, unglamorous life of a domestic goddess (a.k.a. full time homemaker, wife and mom). Yes, there are trade-offs, I couldn't possibly afford all the new high-tech gadgets around (although I do have on loan a NOkia 9210i), my outfits are mostly jeans & t-shirts now, and I hardly wear any make-up, and my bank account is really neglible, and yet, when I look at my life real hard it is exactly what I wanted...give or take a few more bucks in the bank...;)

I am one of those people who still have the time to look out the window...and see and be amazed at this messed-up but still wonderful world of ours. I have the time to wait for the sunrise and sunset. I have the time to see a trail of ants passing by (really!). I have time to read books. And best of all, I have the time to spend with my two kids, who in a few years would probably have no time for me.

Life is good enough...can't have everything I want (a car, a laptop, a bigger house, money to travel, etc.)...but I have everything I need right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home