Friday, August 25, 2006

first time

Do you remember your own "first-times"? It's not just about sex, you know. It could be the first time you rode a bike, the first kiss, the first time you got an A, the first time you saw your baby, etc.

It doesn't matter what it was, what mattered was that it was the first. No matter how mundane or profound it was, some kind of mystical air had always been associated to a first time experience.

The first time will be "the experience that all other experiences of the same kind will be judged upon."

I had a 'first-time' experience today. While waiting for my son's dismissal from school, I decided to try answering the crossword puzzle in the newspaper. I was never a big fan of crossword puzzles, although, I have tried answering some in the past, I have never actually completed one, with or without help from an answer key, until today.



I was surprised at how easy it was, although maybe it was one of those puzzles in the "easy" category. Nevertheless, it was an uplifting experience to be able to complete it all by myself. It was as if I was rediscovering myself through that puzzle. I never realized that "peen" is a "hammer part" or that "pats" are "butter portions". And I couldn't believe that I still remember "Lake Erie" as one of the "Great Lakes" from my Geography lessons in high school. (That was ages ago!) And I only made one mistake: I thought "cloakroom" was the "place for coats in a cafe", but it turned out to be the "checkroom."

I wish I could have seen the inside of my brain while I was doing that puzzle; it must have been going crazy, with all those synaptic connections going on in under 30 minutes!

I was so amazed at my accomplishment that I just had to share it with someone. And I remembered Candy, my friend from college and SGV, who loved answering crosswords then. I sent her a message about the "phenomenon" and she sent a reply that made me feel happy that we could share this.

Maybe I would never be able to complete another crossword puzzle in my life but I will always have this "first-time" embedded in my "long-term memory" forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home